Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Fort Stevens, shipwreck and the Oceans mistaken identity

I spent my friendship anniversary weekend with my friend by driving out to the coast. We drove out west to the Pacific and up to the Northwest tip of Oregon. There were plenty of vista locations to be seen, Fort Stevens, the Columbia river delta, and the historic Astoria bridge. And as ever, we had some really funny moments I believe I would take with me down my memory lane.

At Fort Stevens location, we walked up to the Information Center, and asked how we could get to the fort. The person smiled and replied this is how we could get to the historic district. I repeated my question "Is there where the fort is?" and she just smiled. I assumed the answer to be a "Yes". I decided to ask her one last question. "Where does the Columbia river enter the sea? " She looked up on me, frowned and replied "The Ocean". Haha! She was annoyed with me calling the ocean "sea". It is interesting to note how different people are in being funny. She never replied to my question, though remarked I should identify with the ocean as "ocean" and not call it "sea". The pride of the pacific was at stake, i guess.

We landed up on the historic district, and started our frenzy search for the fort. I had imagined a castle like buidling looking into the "Ocean". All we found was some cannons, batteries, and cement bases. Some heroic photographs. And some notes on Lord Stevens and how he died. To our disbelief, we found out the "real" answer of the information center womans smiling reply. There was NO fort NOR Stevens. Hence the name Fort Stevens. :)

Disgruntled, we drove to a place termed "Shipwreck". It was some place on the coast. And again, my expectations soared up. When we got there, we found pieces of wood making some structure similar to how a broken staircase would be. And yes, no prizes for guessing, that was the wrecked ship. Wow!

American history suprises you. Having come from a land of real history dating 2000 years back, one can't value these bits and pieces of history dating my age. I was in Seattle one day, and the Underground tour guide, introduced that the tour was running since 1965, and a huge roar of applause followed. What? Am I hearing a huge applause for history that dates just 40 years? I'm amazed, but that is American history and the pride it contains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home